In June 1912, New York City Police Commissioner Rhinelander Waldo created a new 42nd Precinct to serve the people of the rapidly developing northern tip of Manhattan. In July 1913, the 207 policemen of the 42nd Precinct packed up their gear and moved into the old Guion/Rathbone house on Haven Avenue at West 177th Street.
Archive for July, 2016
Tags: 42nd Precinct, Arrowhead Inn, Benjamin Riley, Hendrick Oblienis, Jacob Arden, New York History, NYPD history, Robert C. Rathbone
Tags: 42nd Precinct, Arrowhead Inn, Benjamin Riley, New York History, NYPD history, Robert C. Rathbone, Suburban Riding and Driving Club, Washington Heights
For Lady Alice, Sir Tom, and the men of the 42nd Precinct, life was good in the old Rathbone mansion at 177th Street and Haven Avenue in Washington Heights.
Tags: Joel Wolfe, New York History, Seguine's Point, Staten Island history, Staten Island quarantine, Udolpho Wolfe, Wolfe's Pond
On May 1, 1857, the Quarantine Commissioners purchased 50 acres of the Wolfe Farm on Staten Island for $23,000 for use as a quarantine for sick immigrants.