In June 1912, New York City Police Commissioner Rhinelander Waldo created a new 42nd Precinct to serve the people of the rapidly developing northern tip of Manhattan. In July 1913, the 207 policemen of the 42nd Precinct packed up their gear and moved into the old Guion/Rathbone house on Haven Avenue at West 177th Street.
Archive for the ‘New York City History’ Category
Tags: 42nd Precinct, Arrowhead Inn, Benjamin Riley, Hendrick Oblienis, Jacob Arden, New York History, NYPD history, Robert C. Rathbone
Tags: American Museum, Broadway and Ann Street, P.T. Barnum, St. Paul Building, The Happy Family
When most of us hear the name P.T. Barnum, we automatically think of the circus and “The Greatest Show on Earth.” But many years before P.T. Barnum’s Grand Traveling Museum, Menagerie, Caravan, and Circus made its debut in 1870 — and 40 years before he partnered with James A. Bailey – Phineas Taylor Barnum rose […]