Nicodemus Brian G. Hughes
In 1895, Brian G. Hughes entered an alley cat he named Nicodemus in the first National Cat Show at Madison Square Garden. On May 5, the Chicago Tribune reported that the cat looked like “the ordinary backyard, high-fence cat that gets itself shot at moonlight nights.”

Mr. Brian Hughes died the other day at his farm in Monroe, N. Y., and with his passing New York lost its master jokesmith, the originator of countless practical jokes that made everybody laugh, even their victims. Although a successful banker and manufacturer, he was more widely known for his ability to joke than for his commercial successes.

His entire career was one of devastating jocularity. He lived to be 75 years old, and almost to the day of his death he was getting as much fun out of life as was possible.—The Galveston Daily News, Jan. 5, 1925

I discovered the late great Mr. Brian George Hughes while writing a story about Arson and Homicide, two cats that patrolled the old New York Police headquarters building at 240 Centre Street. As I was doing research on this building, I learned that the site had been previously occupied by the Centre Market.

Demolishing Centre Street Market
When the old Centre Market was torn down in 1904 (shown here), Brian Hughes moved his company to a seven-story building at 133-137 Mulberry Street. Brian hired a sign painter to paint “Not for Sale” on the building, about 150 feet from the ground. He told the painter to add “Post No Bills” for good measure. Museum of the City of New York Collections

Brian Hughes & Brother, a paper box manufacturer, leased offices in the north end of the market building at 242 Centre Street. It was here Brian played one of his greatest signature pranks.

In 1904, right about the time the city was considering the site of the Centre Market for its new police headquarters, Brian and his brother Hugh (his parents also had a sense of humor) decided that the building would be a good investment.

When they inquired about purchasing the building, the city comptroller told them the property was not for sale. The next day, Brian placed huge signs in the windows with bold lettering that read “THIS PROPERTY IS NOT FOR SALE. B.G. HUGHES, AMERICA.”

When the comptroller asked about the signs, Brian told him that he was giving the city free advertising by telling folks that the building was not for sale. The comptroller was not amused, but Brian got a good laugh. From that point on, Brian placed “Not for Sale” signs on all his real estate.

Brian G. Hughes
From his offices on Centre and Mulberry streets, Brian devised new ways to fool people and thumb his nose at high society.

Nicodemus, the Female Tom Cat

One of Brian’s biggest jokes involved a stray cat that he purchased for a dime in 1895 from a young bootblack on Hester Street who was just about to drown it. According to one news report, Brian bought the cat because he was attracted to the cat’s six toes.

Although he originally intended to keep the cat at his factory to kill rats, the cat wasn’t a mouser (probably because Brian fed it too well). The dark gray cat did, however, hold its head at an “aristocratic angle” due to an injury he sustained when he was struck by a falling infant. That gave Brian an idea.

Cosey, Best in Show, 1895
Nicodemus had to compete with about 200 other cats in the first-ever National Cat Show, including Mrs. Fred Brown’s Cosey, a Maine coon that won Best in Show. Several cats died during the inaugural event due to excessive heat inside the building.

Brian Hughes took the cat home and had it carefully washed and brushed. Then he entered the cat in the National Cat Show as “the last of the Dublin Brindle breed.” He told the judges that the cat’s name was Nicodemus, by Bowery, out of Dust-Pan, by Sweeper, by Ragtag-and-Bobtail.

At the show, Nicodemus was placed on display on a silk cushion inside a gold-plated cage surrounded by roses and attended to by a woman in a nurse’s gown. According to The New York Times, one woman reportedly walked by and commented on how absurd it was for a cat to have its own nurse when so many children in the world did not receive half the amount of care and attention.

Each day of the show, an African-American livery footman by the name of Sam Smith would arrive with ice cream and chicken packed in the boxes of a celebrated caterer. A florist would also deliver flowers to the alley cat every day. The other cats, including those belonging to Mrs. Standford White, Miss Louisa (J.P.) Morgan, and Mrs. John J. Astor could only look on in envy.

Brian G. Hughes
This news article about New York’s practical joker depicts Brian Hughes as the grinning funny face logo of Steeplechase at Coney Island. Notice Nicodemus in the bottom left.

Nicodemus created a great sensation at the show, and several offers of $2,000 and more came in for the former street urchin (even though Brian advertised him as “the $1,000 Cat Not for Sale”). He took a fifty-dollar prize in the class for brown and dark gray tom cats (there were no other winners in this sub-class).

Despite all the attention and great food, Nicodemus apparently did not like the high life. According to a report in the Rochester Daily Union and Advertiser, he broke away from his attendant on the last day of the show and disappeared. A few days later, however, he appeared at Brian’s offices in the old Centre Street market.

A year later, Brian pulled the stunt again with the same cat. But this time, the joke was on him when it was discovered that his “male” cat was actually female. Sure enough, the alley cat soon gave birth to two kittens.

Determined to have the last laugh, Brian pulled the trick again in 1899, this time disguising his name as Nairb G. Sehguh and making up a fabulous story for the organizers of the International Cat Show at the Grand Central Palace.

Spanish Ship Vizcaya
Brian Hughes told everyone his cat had been a mascot on the Vizcaya during the Spanish-American War and was once owned by the King of Spain.

Brian said his new cat, Eulata, was a native of Hindustan who was once a mascot on the Spanish ship Vizcaya, and that when the ship sank in 1898 during the Spanish-American War, she swam to the USS Oregon and was rescued by sailors. As if that story wasn’t good enough, Brian also said the cat had been presented to the King of Spain by a Bombay merchant, who in turn presented her to Captain Don Antonio Eulate of the Vizcaya.

During the show, Eulata dined from silver dishes, slept on velvet cushions, and was occasionally sprayed with violet perfume. Her gilded cage was bedecked with fresh roses, violets, hyacinths, and carnations. On top were American and Spanish flags, a doll’s trunk labeled “Eulata,” and a box of food in a box stamped with “Sherry’s.” The cat had been completely shaved (save for her head and the tip of her tail) and was like nothing the judges had ever seen before.

This time, though, the judges figured out the joke when they realized that Nairb G. Sehguh was Brian G. Hughes spelled backwards.

Puldeka Orphan, the Old Car Horse

Since the cat pranks got so many laughs, Brian decided to try something similar with a horse in 1900. A few months before the National Horse Show opened at Madison Square Garden, he purchased an old streetcar mare from the Metropolitan Street Railway Company for $11.50. He got such a great deal because the horse was old and about to lose her job pulling a car on the 59th Street line to an electric trolley car.

Clara Hughes and Puldeka Orphan
Brian’s daughter Clara riding Puldeka Orphan at the National Horse Show.

Brian sent the horse up to his farm, Brightside, in Monroe, New York, and told his head stable man that he was entering her in the horse show. Brian said that every cent of the $500 prize money would go to the man who was able to get the horse into condition to compete. For the next two months, the old car horse got the lion’s share of attention in the stable.

The day before the show, Brian paid $24 for a special rail car to transport the horse back to the city. When the Garden show opened, Brian entered the horse as “Puldeka Orphan, by Metropolitan, dam, Electricity.” She was placed in a stall surrounded by flowers and attended to by two livery grooms. She looked absolutely majestic in the arena, with Brian’s daughter at the reins.

1875 Monroe New York
Brian Hughes’ country estate, Brightside (bottom left on this 1875 map), was located at the intersection of present-day Route 17M and Freeland Street.

Now, everything would have gone smoothly, and Puldeka may have even won, had nobody noticed the small bell placed under her saddle. You see, Puldeka was used to hearing one bell (start) and two bells (stop), and didn’t know any other signals or “giddyup.” Miss Clara Hughes, Brian’s 18-year-old daughter, had to use the bells several times, which Brian said was what cost him the blue ribbon.

The funny thing is, although they noticed the bell, nobody noticed until the event was over that the name of the horse could be read, “Pulled a car often, by Metropolitan. Damn electricity.”

Brian Hughes Reetsa Expedition
Brian Hughes’ “Reetsa Expedition” hoax appeared in The Big Book of Hoaxes, published in 1996.

Another time, Brian claimed to have funded a South American expedition to catch a rare animal called a reetsa. For a year he supplied the media with updates about the expedition. Then he announced the capture and arranged for a ship to pull into the docks on the Hudson River. All the newsmen anxiously awaited for a chance to see this rare beast — which turned out to be a steer (reetsa spelled backwards).

The Man Behind the Practical Jokes

Brian Hughes was born in Ireland on May 16, 1849. He arrived in America in 1858, and soon thereafter pulled his first prank while living uptown.* Central Park was just being laid out at this time, and Brian would often play hooky to snare yellow birds from the area of the new park and sell them as singing canaries.

Brian married Josephine White of Boston in 1876 and the couple had three children: Gertrude Marie (later Mrs. John Joseph Burrell), Clara, and Arthur (who legally changed his name to Brian G. Hughes in 1909). They lived for a time in Brooklyn and also at 49 East 126th Street.

Brian Hughes Brightside Farm, Monroe, New York
Brian Hughes owned a farm he called Brightside in Monroe at the intersection of what was then called the road to Harriman and Freeland Street. Today this site is occupied by an auto body shop, a Gulf station, a trailer park, and a large strip mall. In the 1950s, the house was a French restaurant called the Tuxedo Rendezvous; it burned down in the 60s or 70s.

Little is known about his earlier life in New York or how he came to work in the box manufacturing industry. However, he became one of the most prosperous box makers in the city, and everyone seemed to know him, even though the only address he ever used was “America.” Almost any New York mail that was addressed “Brian G. Hughes, America” found its way to his desk.

Brian Hughes Tree
Hatching Cat
One time Brian Hughes told a colonel of the British Army that his trees in Monroe grew vegetables. Sure enough, when the colonel came to visit, he saw an old apple tree with cabbages, cantaloupes, lemons, onions, peaches, pineapples, sweet pickles, and other vegetables “growing” on it. What he didn’t see were the copper wires used to attach them to the tree.

Not All Fun and Games

Although local and national newspapers often wrote about Brian and his practical jokes, the news was not always jovial. In 1910, several upstate New York papers reported on the grim discovery of Brian’s grandson, John Burrell, in a concrete ice house on Fairland Farm in Goshen, New York. The boy was still alive, but he had been confined to the small underground ice house for about a month.

According to the story, for some time there had been rumors among the farmers near Prospect Lake (today’s Goshen Reservoir) that Burrell had locked his son in the ice house. He was discovered by Fred Mann and Fred Mabee, two young neighbors who saw a farmhand entering the structure with bread. The health officer was summoned and the boy was taken to the State Hospital in Middletown.

Fairland Farm Goshen
Brian’s son-in-law, John Joseph Burrell, owned Fairland Farm just south of Pleasant Lake in Goshen (bottom center of this 1903 map). The farmhouse and ice house were near the intersection of today’s Reservoir Road and Strack Road.

Mr. Burrell told authorities that his son had been committed to an asylum on several occasions but could not be contained. He said the ice house was the only place he could keep him from destroying his property. The boy’s mother, Gertrude Hughes Burrell, was living in Harlem with the couple’s daughters at the time.

Two of the Burrells’ daughters, Josephine and Gertrude, were confined to the St. Vincent’s Retreat in Harrison, New York. Another daughter named Clara was a “spinster” who lived near Lake Sapphire Road in Monroe and died in Tuxedo Hospital April 7th, 1951.

A Permanent Moratorium on Jokes

On August 1, 1915, Brian’s wife died at Brightside in Monroe. Only 57, she had been in poor health for some time, and had left their city home on Madison Avenue in Harlem for the country about 6 weeks earlier.

Three years later, Brian Hughes became president of the Dollar Savings Bank in the Bronx. In light of this new position and the war, Brian told the public that he would put an end to the pranks.

1984 Broadway, where Brian Hughes lived
Brian Hughes, his three children, and two of his grandchildren lived in this townhouse (right door) at 1984 Madison Avenue in Harlem during his later years. The family also had a cook and a butler who lived at the residence.

Brian Hughes died at his home in Monroe on December 8, 1924. More than 400 people attended the services at the All Saints Church on Madison Avenue in Harlem. Reverend Patrick F. MacAran, founder of the Parish of St. Anastasia in Harriman, New York, officiated the mass. Brian was buried at Calvary Cemetery in Queens.

Four years later, at age 42, Brian G. Hughes, Jr. shot himself with a pistol in the Mulberry Street office just minutes after talking to his young bride, Margaret. His wife and secretary thought he was just pulling a practical joke, but when they went in to check on him, they found him dead on the floor. To this day, the motive remains a mystery.

* No census reports for the Hughes family from 1860 or 1870 could be located, which makes me wonder if Brian may have grown up in one of the many shanty houses occupied by Irish immigrants before Central Park was completed. Brian’s first pranks involved painting Central Park sparrows yellow in order to sell them as canaries to wealthy women.

Mike Dalmatian Engine Company 8
Mike was the fire dog of Engine Company 8 from 1908 to 1914. Twice, he won the blue ribbon in the Dalmatian class at the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show at Madison Square Garden.

Mike was no ordinary fire dog. In fact, he was no ordinary Dalmatian. As the son of Oakie and Bess, two of the most famous mascot dogs in the history of the Fire Department of New York, he was destined for greatness as the fire dog of Engine Company 8.

Oakie was raised in Newport, Rhode Island on Oakland Farm, the residence of Alfred Gwynne Vanderbilt. In March 1907, Vanderbilt shipped the dog by crate to Engine Company 39 at Fire Headquarters after he heard that their fire dog, Pinkie, was killed trying to slide down the pole at the firehouse. Oakie was placed in charge of Foreman Edward J. Levy.

Oakie fire dog, FDNY
Oakie with Foreman Edward J. Levy, March 21, 1907

Bess also came from a litter of aristocratic dogs, but her master is not known. As the story goes, he very much admired the work of the firemen who responded to a fire at his house, so he decided to give them a Dalmatian.

One day he drove up to the firehouse of Engine Company 8 in his touring car and gave them a puppy. He didn’t say who he was, but told them that the dog’s name was Bess and that he wanted her to be a real dog working with firemen.

Alfred G. Vanderbilt Sr.
Alfred Gwynne Vanderbilt, Sr. was the third son of Cornelius Vanderbilt II and Alice Claypoole Gwynne. He was among the 1,198 passengers who died on the RMS Lusitania when it was torpedoed by a German U-boat on May 7, 1915, off the coast of Ireland. He was called a hero for helping others into lifeboats – he even offered his own life jacket to a woman with an infant even though he couldn’t swim. Vanderbilt’s body was never recovered.

Boisterous, beefy Michael Creegman, aka, Mickey the Breeze, clicked with little pup right off the bat, and took her uptown every night for dinner. Perhaps he had connections, or perhaps it was his dominating presence, but somehow Mickey got her a special pass to ride the Third Avenue Railroad trolley cars with him.

In March 1908, Bess gave birth to several noble pups. From the litter, a puppy the firemen named Mike was selected and turned over to driver David M. Lynx of Engine Company 8.

Third Avenue Railroad Pass

Shortly after Mike starting training for the position of fire dog with Engine Company 8, Bess was transferred to a quieter station house in Queens to recover from injuries sustained from running into burning buildings.

Since she would no longer need her surface rail pass, Fireman David Lynx escorted Mike to the office of Receiver Frederick Wallington Whitridge to see if it could be transferred to Bess’ son.

Engine Company 8 FDNY
Metropolitan Steam Engine Company 8 was organized on September 11, 1865. The company spent the first four years at 128 E. 50th Street, and then moved to its current location at 165 East 51st Street in 1869. Today the company shares headquarters with Ladder Company 2 and Battalion 8.

Now, Mike was not one for acknowledging anyone not wearing a fireman’s uniform. But according to David Lynx, he jumped right up on Whitridge’s lap “just like a politician asking for a favor.”

Whitridge gave the fireman permission to transfer the pass to Mike, saying, “It’s the only pass of the kind ever issued by the road, and if Mike is willing to take all the risks and not sue the company in case of accident I guess we’ll transfer the pass to him.”

Frederick W. Whitridge
Frederick Whitridge of 16 East 11th Street was appointed Receiver of the Third Avenue Railroad on January 6, 1908, following its foreclosure under the collapse of the Metropolitan Street Railway, which then controlled the rail company. In 1910, the Third Avenue Railway was chartered, acquiring all the properties of the former Third Avenue Railroad. Whitridge was named president of the new company around 1915.

The special pass was engraved on a silver plate attached to his collar, which also held a tiny brass fire helmet. The inscription read: “To conductors: permission is hereby granted to carry a fire dog on the cars of this company. Third Avenue Railway Company. Frederick W. Whitridge, Receiver.”

All the conductors were instructed to honor this pass, which let him ride back and forth on the front platform of all the Third Avenue lines. Mike used the pass often to go home with the firemen for dinner and to visit his fire dog pals in uptown fire houses.

Horse-drawn carriage
The Third Avenue Railroad Company formed in 1852 and began operating its horse-drawn cars on July 3, 1853. By 1859, using the 125th Street Railroad and tracks along 10th Avenue (Amsterdam Avenue), the line ran from the Astor House (Broadway and Park Row) north along Park Row, the Bowery, and Third Avenue to 130th Street near the Harlem River, a distance of about 8 miles.

Mike and Jerry’s Excellent Adventures

One of Mike’s best canine friends was Jerry, an ordinary mongrel attached to what was then the 29th Precinct at 163 E. 51st Street. Jerry was brought to the police station on March 4, 1909, by a woman who had found him outside starving and shivering.

Captain John J. Lantry accepted the dog and the men named him Jerry in honor of the station’s doorman (they were originally going to call him Bill Taft in honor of President William Taft’s inauguration that year but the vote went to Jerry).

One of the dogs’ favorite activity was taking the ferry-boat from East 53rd Street to Blackwell’s Island. If it was a warm day, they’d go swimming to cool off. Sometimes they would stay there for two or three days, but they always returned to their respective stations.

First Third Avenue Cable Car
By the mid-1880s, the Third Avenue Railroad Company began operating cable cars on the Tenth Avenue cable line and 125th Street line. The surface railway used cable cars as well as horse-drawn streetcars until 1899 when the company switched over to electric-powered trolleys.

When it came to the job, though, Mike and Jerry were all business. Jerry would accompany the policeman on patrol or ride along with the patrol wagon that picked up the prisoners for night court, and Mike would ride along with the fire engines of Engine Company 8. The two never switched jobs or mixed pleasure with business.

Mike did his job very well, and the firemen say he saved many lives. He’d jump up and down in excitement as the horses, Jerry, Pat, and Miguel got into their harnesses, and would run ahead to bark and snap at pedestrians in cross streets to let them know the horses were coming. On the scene of the fire, Mike would always run into the buildings with the firemen, just like he mother once did. His reward on hot nights was getting hosed down with the horses when their work was done.

Old 17th Precinct Stationhouse
Mike’s friend Jerry was attached to the 29th Precinct – originally the 19th – which was established at 163 East 51st Street on September 7, 1877. Today it’s known as the 17th Precinct.

Mike and Tom and Jerry

Mike’s two other good four-legged friends at the Engine Company 8 firehouse were a big grey horse named Jerry who also arrived in 1908 and a large black cat named Tom. The three animals loved being together, and always slept in Jerry’s stall – Mike would put his head on Jerry’s neck and Tom would sleep on Jerry’s back. Jerry fussed over his small friends in the stall, and would always lie down carefully so as not to crush them.

When an alarm came in at night, Tom would jump out of the way and walk to the street to watch the engines pull away. Then he’d go back inside to sleep until his friends came home (who said cats were not as smart as dogs?) Actually, one time Tom tried to ride on Jerry’s back as he raced to a fire. He held on for a few seconds and then jumped, landing on his end and injuring himself (so maybe he wasn’t that smart).

Tom, Jerry, Mike, Engine Company No. 8
The four-legged buddies of Engine Company 8.

Although Mike usually went inside the buildings with the men, he must have sensed that his friend Jerry was about to lose his job when he noticed the horse was falling asleep on the scene. According to Captain Joseph Donovan, no sooner would Dave Lynx place a blanket over his team, Jerry would drop down in the gutter and take a nap. Dave and the engine men Dennis McNamara and Frank Leonard didn’t know what to do – but Mike had an idea.

For the next few nights, Mike remained outside with the horses and began nipping Jerry on the knees as soon as he started to kneel down. Sometimes he’d nip him 10 times in a half hour, but eventually the trick worked and Jerry stopped falling asleep on the job.

Mike Goes to Doggie Heaven

On December 5, 1914, Jerry stumbled and fell while racing to a fire. The large horse landed on top of Mike, crushing his hind legs. The firemen carried Mike back to the station and placed him in Jerry’s stall to quiet the horse – she seemed to know that the end was near for her dear canine friend.

Mike of Engine Company 8 wins Westminster Kennel Club Show
Although Mike had a short life, it was a very rewarding one. Not only did he help save lives, he also took first place in the Dalmatian class at the 34th annual Westminster Kennel Club show at Madison Square Garden in 1910 and 1911. The class was specifically dedicated to firemen’s dogs. In 1910, second place went to two-year-old Smoke II of Engine Company 68 on Jay Street in Brooklyn.

This story is dedicated to the families and friends of the following firefighters from Engine Company 8, Ladder 2, and Battalion 8 who made the supreme sacrifice on September 11th, 2001.

ENGINE 8
FF. Robert Parro
LADDER 2
CPT. Federick Ill, Jr.
FF. Denis Germain
FF. Daniel Harlin
FF. Dennis Mulligan
FF. Michael Clarke
FF. George Dipasquale
FF. Carl Molinaro
BATTALION 8
BC. Thomas DeAngelis
FF. Thomas McCann

I once wrote about Sir Oliver, The Lambs’ mascot parrot. In 1900, Sir Oliver was a matinée idol who had a habit of going off script and speaking out of line on stage. When he wasn’t performing, he spent his time startling customers with his “fowl” language in a bird shop on Broadway. I have to wonder if Sir Oliver was the parrot who also starred in this drama…

Sir Oliver the parrot, Foxy Quiller, New York
Hatching Cat
Sir Oliver the parrot on stage with Jerome Sykes (right) and Adolph Zink (holding cage).

“Help! Help! Murder! Police!”

The loud cries for help pierced the early morning stillness in Madison Square Park, nearly startling Policeman Betts out of his shoes as he walked his beat near the Hoffman House Hotel on Broadway and 25th Street.

As a police officer with what was then called the 19th Police Precinct – otherwise known as the notorious Tenderloin District – Betts was exposed to a heavy dose of crime every day.

Madion Square Park
Madison Square Park in 1893. NYPL digital collections.

This district, which covered roughly 23rd Street to 42nd Street between 5th and 6th Avenues, was the most crime-ridden section of the city — and possibly of the country. Hundreds of brothels, saloons, and gambling parlors lined the streets. Graft and corruption among the police was rampant.

Captain Alexander Williams, Tenderloin District
The Tenderloin area reportedly got its nickname when Alexander “Clubber” Williams took command of what was then the 29th Precinct in 1876. He cheerfully noted that he was looking forward to getting some “tenderloin” after working many years for “chuck steak” on the Lower East Side. Captain Williams retired in 1895 a millionaire.

According to newspaper accounts from the early 1900s, Betts had assisted on dangerous door-busting raids of gambling and opium dens, made heroic rescues when the Hoffman House caught fire, and dealt with all kinds of vice on a daily basis. But he’d apparently never heard a screech for help quite like this.

“They’re killing me! Quick, quick!”

Hearing the second cry for help, Policeman Betts rapped his nightstick on the asphalt to signal the three other policemen patrolling the area that their immediate help was needed. From each corner of Madison Square Park, the four police officers made a systematic search toward the center of the park, gripping their nightsticks tightly in preparation for striking a few blows on the assailants.

Unable to find any trace of a crime in progress, Policeman Betts and his fellow officers retreated to their posts.

Tenderloin Station House
The station house for the 29th Precinct at 137-139 West 30th Street was designed by NYPD sergeant and official architect Nathaniel D. Bush in 1869. By 1898, the station (now re-numbered the 19th Precinct) was overcrowded and had insufficient dormitory quarters for the patrolmen. In 1903, Commissioner William McAdoo seized upon the city-owned building next door to create more dormitory space. Today this is the site of a Courtyard Marriott.

“Rubbah! Rubbah! Rubbah-neck!” The voice was still loud, but this time there was a mocking cadence.

Betts rapped again to signal to the others that they were needed again. This time they converged to a bench where the voice seemed to be coming from. They look up and saw the culprit on the branches of a maple tree. A parrot.

“Polly wants a cracker!”

It is not known from whose cage the green parrot escaped. But he (or she) remained in the park for a while, where he amused the children and kept the tramps awake at night with his loud outbursts. One homeless man said he heard a man on Fourth Avenue was willing to pay $2 for the parrot, and so began a challenge to catch the parrot.

Hoffman House Hotel
Policeman Betts’ regular post was at the Hoffman House Hotel on Broadway at 25th Street, which was built in 1864 on land once occupied by the Isaac Varian farm and homestead. In its first year, the hotel served as headquarters for General Winfield Scott and Benjamin F. Butler, who had been sent to New York to help quell the draft riots. The Hoffman House and the adjoining Albermarle Hotel were demolished in 1915 to make way for a 16-story office building.

It was believed that someone eventually caught and sold the parrot, and used the money to buy alcohol.

Siamese cat

Centuries ago, Siamese cats lived a life of luxury in their native Siam (now Thailand). Some of these exotic felines lived within palace walls as the regal pets and mouse catchers of Siam royalty. Others served as valued guardians of Buddhist temples.

In 1878, the first documented Siamese cat to reach the United States moved into the White House. In 1904, the crew of the steamship Satsuma brought a very sacred Siamese cat and her kittens to Red Hook, Brooklyn.

On February 8, 1904, Japan issued a declaration of war against Russia. Eight days later, Russia declared war on Japan. The 19-month war that followed — the Russo-Japanese War – was called “the first great war of the 20th century.”

King Rama V, Siam
King Rama V, aka Chulalongkorn the Great (1853-1910), was the son of King Monkut (whose story is told in “The King and I”) and the fifth monarch of Siam. Crowned at the age of 15 in 1868, King Rama V was largely responsible for modernizing Siam and fending off western colonization.

On May 5, 1904, the New York and Oriental Steamship Company’s Satsuma sailed from Yokohoma to Singapore via Hong Kong with a cargo hold of goods from China and Japan.

The Chinese crew (only the captain and high-ranking officers were British or American) prepared for their dangerous war-time voyage by burning incense and casting paper slips in the water bearing prayers to the sea gods for safe passage.

On this trip, the Satsuma cargo comprised firecrackers, corkwood, matting, Oriental curios, and a large quantity of rattan. It also included railroad ties and engines, which could be classified as contraband if the ship were to be captured by Russian war vessels.

USS Satsuma
Satsuma, a steel freighter that operated commercially under the British flag, first arrived in New York on June 3, 1901. After a one-year commission with the U.S. Navy (1917-1818), she was returned to the New York & Oriental Steam Ship Company, which ran a commercial shipping line from New York to China, Manila, Japan, and other Far Eastern ports.

The voyage from Japan to Singapore took just over eight weeks with the stopover in Hong Kong. The Satsuma didn’t dock at Singapore, but only anchored in the harbor to receive additional cargo from other vessels.

During this time, Captain William Chubb and Chief Officer Alexander Hodgson noticed that many Siamese government vessels were scrutinizing the craft in the harbor, especially the small vessels and Chinese junks coming from the direction of Bangkok.

Siam government officials in teak wood barges questioned every vessel in their search for King Chulalongkorn’s Siamese cat.
Siam government officials in teak wood barges questioned every vessel in their search for King Chulalongkorn’s Siamese cat.

When the officers inquired about all the harbor activity, they learned that King Chulalongkorn’s Siamese cat had been missing for about six days. The King of Siam was offering a $1,000 reward for her safe return and the capture of her abductors.

As it happened to be, the Satsuma was overrun with rats at this time, and the crew had been on the lookout for a good cat. Their mascot parrot was simply not getting the job done. As the chief officer explained to The New York Times, the men did not care whether the cat belonged to a king or was “an everyday tramp species,” as long as it could kill the rats.

Just before sundown, as the crew was getting ready to sail, a Chinese junk came alongside the Satsuma. The captain of this sailing ship asked if the men wanted a fine cat. When asked the price, the man said he would sell her for 50 cents. The crew agreed to the price and the man climbed on board with the Siamese.

SS SAMLAND heading for France in 1918
In 1918, USS Satsuma was placed in commission with the U.S. Navy in New York as an animal transport vessel. She made one round-trip voyage under the command of Lt. Commander George A. Saunders, disembarking at St. Nazaire, France, with 315 horses on board. All the horses survived the trip under the care of Transport Veterinarian 2nd Lt. Albert R Mahan. (This photo depicts the SS Samland heading for France in 1918.)

Right away, the crew could see that this was no ordinary cat. When Chief Officer Hodgson asked the sailor where he had gotten her, the man whispered that it was the King of Siam’s cat, and that he wanted to dispose of her because of the relentless search for the sacred feline. (I don’t know why the Chinese sailor didn’t try to get more money for the cat, but perhaps he had abducted the cat and was afraid of getting caught. Or, perhaps he just made up the whole story.)

About this same time, a government craft came alongside and asked where the Satsuma was going. Chief Officer Hodgson said they had just arrived from Hong Kong and were now sailing back to New York. The government official did not press the issue, knowing that the ship would not have had an opportunity to obtain the Siamese anytime within that past week. Free to go, the Satsuma set sail for Brooklyn with the sacred cat on board.

1770 Ratzer Map Red Hook
As shown in this 1770 map created by Lieutenant Bernard Ratzer for King George III, Red Hook was once a hilly area nearly surrounded by water and marshes. Large-scale projects began to take place in the 1830s due to its close proximity to the Manhattan waterfront and the opening of the Erie Canal in 1825. Using land from the highlands, the creeks and surrounding marshes were filled in and are today the neighborhoods of Cobble Hill, Carroll Gardens, and Boerum Hill.

During the two-month journey back to New York, the crew of the Satsuma had several adventures. Not only did they have a run-in with giant stowaway centipedes and narrowly escape a floating Russian mine in the Bohai Sea, they also discovered that their new Siamese cat, which they named Siamese Jane, was pregnant.

As Chief Officer Hodgson told the press, “There would be high doings in the Siamese King’s Court if it were known that his precious pet has brought into the world five more sacred cats, all of which are enjoying perfect health and may be seen any day gambolling on the deck of the Satsuma.”

On August 22, 1904, the Satsuma safely arrived at the Atlantic Basin Pier 33 in Red Hook, Brooklyn. The Chinese crew held a service of thanksgiving and then spent their earnings playing keno on the ship’s deck.

Asked why the officers did not tell King Chulalongkorn’s men that his Siamese cat was on board, Hodgson replied, “Well, it was for the very good reason that if we did the whole bunch of us would have been jailed, and it would have taken the British Consul General a week at least to get us out.”

Atlantic Basin, Red Hook
The Atlantic Basin was the brain child of local developer Colonel Daniel Richards, who acquired the large basin site on Red Hook “Island” from the Van Dyke brothers in 1839. He originally proposed building residences on the land, but that project fell through. In 1840 the New York State Legislature authorized him to build a large shipping terminal on Buttermilk Channel. Construction took place from 1839-1848, and included dredging the shallow basin to accommodate ships that drew up to 20 feet.

Asked if they planned on returning Siamese Jane, Hodgson answered, “Yes, we are going to take the cat back, but we will keep her out of sight when we touch at Singapore. Don’t doubt that.” This time, though, he said they would return to Japan via Cape Horn so as to avoid the dangerous Russian cruisers.

As for the five Siamese kittens? Well, no one asked about the kittens, so there is a chance that somewhere in America – maybe even in Brooklyn – someone’s pet cat is a descendant of Siamese Jane, the regal pet of King Chulalongkorn the Great. You never know…

Siamese kittens

Part II of the Fire Horse Heroes and the City Farm

City Farm for Retired Fire Horses

“These old hero-horses, as I think they should be called, deserve a better fate than city pavements until they die of exhaustion. On the city farm in Warwick we have 800 acres of wonderful rolling country. We have a lake over a mile long. We have hills and streams. We are growing more hay than we know how to dispose of.”—Charles Samson, New York Press, September 30, 1913

In an earlier post, I wrote about the final run for the last horse-drawn fire engine of the New York Fire Department (FDNY). According to news reports, the five retiring fire horses of Engine Company No. 205 in Brooklyn — Balgriffin, Danny Beg, Penrose, Waterboy, and Bucknell — were reportedly transferred to light duty on Blackwell’s Island or sent to upstate farms operated by the ASPCA (depending on their health).

New York City Department of Street Cleaning horses
Many retired fire horses were transferred to New York’s Street Cleaning Department, where they worked hauling equipment to clean streets, haul garbage, or remove snow. Some of the old horses that were sold or transferred still remembered responding to fires, and would often bolt when they heard the alarms.

Although fire horses had been “retiring” ever since the FDNY completely replaced manpower with horsepower in 1869, there was never much talk about the fate of these retired horses. The discussion picked up in 1911 when Fire Commissioner Rhinelander Waldo proposed motor-driven fire apparatus for the FDNY, and again in 1913, when Fire Commissioner Joseph H. Johnson Jr. announced plans to retire all those fire horses still in service and replace them with motorized vehicles as soon as possible.

Up until the transition to a motorized fire department, the majority of discharged fire horses were either sold at auction on the cheap ($25 to $100) to peddlers who used them to pull their fruit and vegetable carts, or sent to other agencies in the city – like the Street Cleaning Department — that were still using horse-powered vehicles.

A few fortunate horses were placed on farms or the estates of wealthy people through the ASPCA or nonprofits like the Horse Aid Society. Others that were condemned from the auction block because of an injury or frailty were sent to the “pension farm” at Blackwell’s Island (Roosevelt Island) to do light hauling for the Department of Charities and Correction. Sadly, some horses were “humanely” dispatched by the ASPCA if the society’s vets determined they could no longer live a purposeful life.

Blackwell's Island Penitentiary
In the 1800s and early 1900s, many retired fire horses were sent to Blackwell’s Island on the East River to do light hauling for the city’s the Department of Charities and Correction (DOCC). The DOCC operated the Blackwell Penitentiary, which was erected in 1832 and demolished in 1936.

Charles Samson to the Rescue

Charles Samson, Executive Secretary of New York City’s Board of Inebriety, did not like reading all the articles in the newspaper about the passing of the fire horses and how the city “rewarded” them for their gallant service. He especially did not like the fact that hero horses, who had spent their strength and shortened lives in the service of the FDNY, were being auctioned to peddlers, hucksters, or anyone else who offered the highest bid for them.

And so in September 1913, Samson sent a letter to Fire Commissioner Johnson offering a plan that would allow every fire horse in service to live well into his or her old age at the agency’s Hospital and Industrial Colony in Warwick, New York, also known as the “City Farm.”

Engine Company 39 last horse-drawn engine
Fire horses leave the quarters of FDNY Engine 39 and Ladder 16 on East 67th Street for the last time in 1911. Their replacement: the first gasoline-powered pumper, seen in the background. Photo, Library of Congress


A Brief History of the Board of Inebriety

“If the hopes of the board are fulfilled, New York, five years hence, will be a sober city.”—The Chicago Medical Recorder, January-December 1911

In the early 1900s, there was a great social stigma attached to alcoholism. Not only were alcoholics (or “inebriates” or “drunkards” as they were called back then) considered immoral, they were also increasingly associated with homelessness, corruption, and crime.

In 1867, the Commissioners of Charities and Correction erected an Asylum for Inebriates on the southeastern end of Ward’s Island. The facility didn’t last long: With forcible detention losing favor as a means of treating alcoholism, the asylum closed in 1875.

The building temporarily housed the overflow of patients from the Insane Asylum, also located on Ward’s Island, before becoming the Homeopathic Hospital (renamed the Metropolitan Hospital in 1894).

Inebriate Asylum, Ward's Island
Before there was a City Farm for Inebriates in Warwick, NY
The Inebriate Asylum on Ward’s Island was a short-term experiment that lasted only eight years.

In 1910, it was reported that 25,000 people were arrested annually for drunkenness in Manhattan and the Bronx alone. It was also estimated that habitual drunkenness cost the city, directly and indirectly, $2.4 million a year.

By this time, most inebriates were ending up at the Workhouse on Blackwell’s island, where, according to The New York Times, they simply “drag[ged] through the days of their discipline until such time as they may leave and begin all over again the process of being sent back.”

At this same point in time, medical doctors and criminologists were looking at rehabilitation through therapy and isolation as a viable alternative to the workhouse or severe punishment and imprisonment.

One such rehabilitation solution was to send law-breaking inebriates to remote rural areas like a city farm, where, in an environment of fresh air, physical exercise, education, good food (no intoxicating beverages), and counseling, they could learn new trades, regain their pride, build character, and prepare for productive lives in society. In effect, inebriates would be treated as sick people with a disease rather than as law-breaking prisoners.

Charles Samson, Executive Secretary, NYC Board of Inebriety
At the age of 30, Charles Samson was appointed executive secretary of the Board of Inebriety in 1912. Prior to this appointment, Samson was secretary to Dr. John W. Brannan, president of the Board of Trustees and Bellevue and Allied Hospitals. He and his wife, Mary, had two daughters, Virginia and Margaret, and lived at 371 Manhattan Avenue.

In 1910, the New York State Legislature authorized the City of New York to establish a Board of Inebriety with power to “construct and maintain a hospital and industrial colony within or without the city for the care, treatment, and occupation of inebriates in accordance with methods approved by medical science” (Chapter 551 of the Laws of 1910).

Mayor William Jay Gaynor appointed five members to the board in July 1911 and three months later, the board opened its headquarters at 300 Mulberry Street (the former Police Headquarters building).

The Search for a Farm

The day after the board set up shop on Mulberry Street, newly appointed Police Commissioner Rhinelander Waldo (yes, the former Fire Commissioner) offered the board an 80-acre farm near Flushing, Long Island, that was worth $150,000. The board did not vote to approve the offer, as it was their intention to buy as much land as possible for the amount of money allocated.

Kings Park, Smithtown, Long Island
This was one option for a City Farm
The Board of Inebriety considered a farm on the old H. Chatfield Smith estate (lower right side of this 1909 map) in 1912. The property was owned by Edgar T. and Joseph W. Smith, the sons of Henry Chatfield Smith and his wife, Mary Huntting. The farm was near today’s intersection of Lawrence Road and Boxwood Drive in Kings Park.

In February 1912, the board looked at another potential city farm of about 520 acres in Smithtown, Long Island. The farm, part of the old Chatfield Smith Estate at Kings Park, was ideally located next to the Kings Park State Hospital for the Insane (Kings Park Psychiatric Center) between the Long Island Sound and the Long Island Railroad.

The board made an offer of $120,000, but the deal never went through. Not only did the Smithtown residents protest the sale, but Manhattan Borough President George McAneny criticized the purchase, saying it was too much to pay for farmland, especially since only 150 of the 500 acres were cleared and available for cultivation.

Instead, he recommended creating a city farm in Orange County, just 60 miles northwest of Manhattan.

The Hospital and Industrial Colony at Warwick (aka, the “City Farm”)

Wisner-Durland Manor House, City Farm, Warwick NY
In 1842, Henry Board Wisner hired New York architect Thomas Austin and master mason John Earle to build a beautiful manor house on his farm, located on the 1766 Wisner Tract. Photo, courtesy Albert Wisner Public Library

In February 1912, members of the Board of Inebriety took a trip to Warwick, New York. There, they toured the old Wisner-Durland Farm — shown in the top center of this 1875 map of Orange County — which contained 640 acres of land and 160 acres of Wickham Lake.

The farm had been previously owned by descendants of Captain John Wisner, who acquired some 2064 acres in 1766. The Wisner family sold the property at the south end of the lake to Thomas E. Durland in 1893.

Thomas and his Yale-educated son Jesse operated a progressive farm known for its high breed of milk cows and quality dairy products sold on the New York City Milk Exchange.

Plan for a City Farm, Warwick, NY
Plans for the City Farm included a reception hospital for 60 patients; four cottages; buildings to furnish light, heat and power; laundry and kitchen buildings; and a recreation building with a reading room and gymnasium. Later plans included a chapel, administrative buildings, and numerous workshops.

The farm was beautifully maintained and well-equipped, and featured the original manor home as well as modern-equipped barns, a creamery, and an ice house. The land was also adjacent to the Lehigh & Hudson River Railway, which was perfect for transporting agricultural products to New York City (including hay for the city’s police and fire horses and produce for the city’s hospitals).

The board members liked what they saw in Warwick. Without further ado, the city purchased the farm from General Thomas Durland Landon, the nephew and only heir of Jesse Durland, for $75,000 (talk about a good deal!). They began making plans for a city farm on the beautiful property.

Thomas Durland Landon, 1865-1934
Thomas Durland Landon (1865-1934) was Commandant of the Bordentown Military Institute (BMI) in New Jersey from 1881 until his death in October 1934. He also served as Major of the 3rd New Jersey Infantry during the Spanish-American War and was commissioned as a Colonel in the Army during World War I. He is buried in Bordentown Cemetery.

There is a great deal of information about the farm (and photos) on the Albert Wisner Library website and on the website for Warwick Valley Living, so let’s get back to the untold story about the FDNY fire horses…

Charles Samson’s Proposal

On September 29, 1913, Fire Commissioner Johnson received a letter from Samson offering an honorable retirement for all the old fire horses – or most of them – on the city farm in Warwick. He explained that there would be ample forage for the horses, and over the stall of each one there would be a plate bearing the horse’s name and record of service.

None of the horses, Samson stressed, would be used for work. Commissioner Johnson accepted the offer eagerly and said he would be sending three or four horses there the following week.

Now, where exactly Samson planned on putting all these horses is a mystery. According to The City Record of 1916, sometime after the contract for the purchase of the farm was made, but before the title was acquired, two barns were destroyed in a fire. Three years later, the board was still using a makeshift stable for the horses when it requested the Board of Aldermen for $10,000 to construct a new barn.

Bellevue Hospital ambulance horses
In addition to fire horses, the City Farm also accepted other retired city horses. The first horses to retire in Warwick were two ambulance horses from Bellevue Hospital. Museum of the City of New York Collections

Sadly, it doesn’t appear that the city took much advantage of Samson’s offer: By 1914, only five horses from the FDNY were living a life of ease on the Warwick farm. The city farm itself — which had been expanded to include treatment for those addicted to heroine, opium, and other drugs in a “tent colony” — also didn’t last long: In 1918, only two board members remained and there were only 37 residents on the farm and six staff members to care for them.

The city farm was shut down in 1918, and on July 14, 1919 – the year Congress enacted Prohibition — the board adopted a resolution turning the farm over to the Commissioners of the Sinking Fund “for such disposition as they may desire to make of such land, buildings, and appurtenances.” Activities continued for another year, but on July 24, 1920, the Middletown Daily Herald reported that there were no more patients on the farm.

Wisner-Durland Manor, Warwick, NY
When the Mid-Orange prison closed for good in 2012, dozens of buildings, including the 1842 Wisner-Durland Manor, were left empty and boarded up. Photo, P. Gavan, 2015

Although several agencies inquired about the property (the U.S. Public Health Service wanted it for the care of discharged “insane soldiers and sailors”), the land was under-utilized until 1932, when the State Training School for Boys officially opened on July 1. The school for delinquent boys operated for almost 45 years until, in 1976, it was converted into a medium-security prison called Mid-Orange (the prison was ordered closed in 2011).

Today, much of the old City Farm is dedicated to hemp processing. In fact, the old Wisner-Durland Manor is currently being converted into an incubator space for companies in the burgeoning CBD oil industry.

Some of the land has also been set aside for a town park with a kayak launch (that I use often) and a large sports complex called the Hudson Sports Complex. One of the old buildings on the site was donated to the Warwick Volunteer Fire Department for training purposes (it’s very spooky there at night when we have our monthly drills. I’m convinced the place is haunted…).

Ironically, there is also a new brewery on the property called Drowned Lands Brewery. I haven’t been there yet, but it’s on my list of things to do in my hometown!

Warwick, New York
Once upon a time, a few lucky FDNY horses retired to the old Wisner-Durland farm in Warwick. I wonder if there are any equine descendants of these horse heroes in my hometown today?